- blog n.
- Website on which an individual or group of users produces an ongoing narrative.
02 08/2007Trend towards smooth, transparent email subscription
A report recently published by The Direct Marketing Associationâs Email Experience Council found that thereâs a clear trend toward subscription processes that are quick and easy, and increasingly transparent.
âThe old adage âyou only get one chance to make a good first impressionâ transcends to an email marketerâs efforts in creating a good opt-in experience,â says Elie Ashery, president and CEO of email marketing software and services company Gold Lasso, the sponsor of the study. âThe opt-in process sets the tone of how a future email relationship between a company and customer will unfold.â
Another best-practice approach is the provision of sample newsletters, according to the study.
Among other findings:
- 28 percent of retailers offer more than one email content selection, ranging from two to 50.
- Less than a mere 7 percent of retailers tell subscribers how many emails to expect.
- Nearly 12 percent of retailers offer plain-text versions of e-newsletters during sign-up.
- Just 3 percent of major online retailers use double-opt-in.
- 92 percent of retailers have an email sign-up form or link on their homepage.
- Some 43 percent of retailers allow customers to sign up for email with one click from their homepage.
- Subscriber name (31 percent) and ZIP code (18 percent) were the two most often required pieces of information.